What is Iyengar Yoga?
Iyengar Yoga is based on the teachings of the late yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar.Mr iyengar began teaching in Pune, India, in 1936 at the age of 18. His life and teachings continue to inspire students all over the world. His daughter, Geeta, and his son, Prashant, are also accomplished teachers and authors of yoga texts.
The Iyengar family’s teachings are deeply grounded in the yoga sutras of Patanjali, an ancient summation of the path of yoga considered to be at least 2,500 years old. To learn more about B.K.S Iyengar visit www.bksiyengar.com.
Which class should I come to?
If you are a newcomer to yoga we recommend you come to the Level One classes. Level One classes are structured as a series over four weeks. You can start any time in the series. Regularity is the key – at least one class a week, more if you can. If you have done another type of yoga but not Iyengar Yoga then it depends a bit on your level of experience. You could come to either the Level One or the Level Two classes. It is helpful to start slowly and have time to absorb the basic principles and use of the props and their application to the fundamental postures.
If you have a medical condition or injury then you may want to talk to us about a booking a block of private classes – in most cases you will be able join a class and work with the problem in the group.
If you are pregnant please talk to us before you enrol.
Always let us know on the day of your class if you are unwell, menstruating or have a concern that may affect your participation.
What is a yoga class like?
You will be introduced to the basic asanas (poses or postures). This includes standing, sitting and twisting poses with preparation for back bending and inverted poses. Generally more active poses at the beginning and then winding down to quieter asanas at he end. Each asana and group of asanas has a different effect on the body and mind. The basic postures taught to beginners build strength and muscle tone where needed and improve flexibility, stability and generally balance the ‘system’ as needed. Practicing yoga can reduce tiredness and soothe the nerves, calming the mind to help concentration and our ability to ‘think clearly’. Iyengar yoga is well known for its use of ‘props’ to help achieve deeper access into an asana. Props used in a class may include sticky mats, blankets, blocks, straps, chairs, weights or wall ropes. Props allow students to practice asanas and pranayamas (breathing patterns) with effectiveness, ease, stability and safety, providing support for the body while allowing the mind to relax and open up to the effects of the practice.
What do i need to do before i come?
- Check out all the info the info on our website. When you are ready to enrol and pay for a course or classes and click on the appropriate course etc. you will be taken to the part of the website where you can buy safely online with our integrated class purchase system. You are always welcome to pay us in person before class if you prefer. Contact us if you any questions about any of the information.
- Let us know before class if you are on any medications, have a medical condition, are pregnant or are menstruating as this may affect your sequence in the class.
- Black Lotus provides all the yoga equipment including mats although you may bring your own if you prefer.
- Comfortable clothing is recommended and classes are always done with clean, bare feet.
- Don’t eat too close to your class time, no less than 2 or 3 hours for a meal and about an hour or so for a small snack.
- Remove loose jewellery and refrain from using strong perfumes or deodorants.
- Arrive 10 or 15 minutes before class, the class begins on time with students already on their mats and ready.Don’t forget to put your phone on silent.
- We have a changing area but not secure lockers. Avoid bringing valuables to the school and ask the teacher to put them inthe office if unavoidable.
What if i miss my regular class
As a beginner we recommend that you come to at least one class a week. If you have to miss your regular class you can come to any other similar level class throughout the week or one of the scheduled practice times. Do the best you can and if you sick or away come back as soon as you can
What if I don't like the first class and i have already paid for a block of classes.
We are happy to refund your payment. We appreciate your feedback. If you are unhappy with the class or expected something different please talk to us and let us know.
Do i need to bring a mat?
Black Lotus provides all the yoga equipment including mats although you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer.
How long does it take to advance?
Every one is different. Students are encouraged to progress at their own pace. It is a case of try it and see.
Got more questions?